With all the sugary goodness, is it possible to really have our cake and eat it too? We think so, at least with these plant-based cupcakes that are!
As we’ve been sharing more about sugar content and alternative options to keep consumption low, we also wanted to share a sweet treat that includes simple, wholesome ingredients, hides vegetables, and is low in sugar. These vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes will please any pallet and their bright red color is sure to impress – making them perfect for themed parties or for the family to enjoy!
This recipe is from Emilie over at Emilie Eats. She is known for her popular food blog and is notorious for making healthy treats that most everyone would love! Sneaking in a vegetable or two and using alternative ingredients is a great way to keep treats nutrient dense and gut-friendly.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 10-12
- ½ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose gluten-free flour OR sub Cassava flour for a grain free option!
- ½ tsp of liquid Stevia
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup beets, cooked and pureed
- ¼ cup coconut, avocado or grapeseed oil (any neutral oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean powder
>Head over to Emilie Eats for the instructions